Release Report Improvements

Adding some of the thoughts from my experience so far to improve the releases and release report features. If there is a better way to raise these please let me know.

• When I tag a particular epic to be part of a release can we automatically tag all issues in it. It’s a bit pointless to only have the epic tagged in a release and not its issues. This prevents us from seeing the real issues in the release report and we are having to go and manually update all issues under the epics.

• Can we make the epics/issues as a slide out panel in the release report. Please do not open new tabs for everything. The board excels in this where it shows a neat slide out and greatly improves our focus and efficiency.

• Please add more details to all the issues when exported to a csv file. Rather than just the basic fields.

1 Like

Hey Ram,

Hi again - Laura here :slight_smile: Once again, these are great suggestions and I appreciate you taking the time to share. A few thoughts:

When I tag a particular epic to be part of a release can we automatically tag all issues in it. It’s a bit pointless to only have the epic tagged in a release and not its issues. This prevents us from seeing the real issues in the release report and we are having to go and manually update all issues under the epics.

To give some context for this, releases were intended to be time-boxed reports (e.g. 3 months), while epics are really just a grouping of related issues. Since different issues in an epic can be part of different releases, we wanted to give the user control to choose which issues should be added to the release. The intended behaviour is for a user to filter the board by an epic, then use the multi-action buttons in the top right corner to add to a release.

That being said, I can understand the use case you’re describing, particularly when adding new issues to an epic - it’s tedious to add each one to the release as well. This is something we’d like to address, however it hasn’t been a priority so it’s unlikely it will change in the near future.

Can we make the epics/issues as a slide out panel in the release report. Please do not open new tabs for everything. The board excels in this where it shows a neat slide out and greatly improves our focus and efficiency.

Yes, this is something we’d like to do! In full transparency, our release report is an older piece of our product so it’s a larger technical lift than adding the slide out panel to the roadmap, for example. I don’t have a timeline for this either, but it’s very much on our radar.

Please add more details to all the issues when exported to a csv file. Rather than just the basic fields.
Can you share more about this? Are you using the exports to build your own reports? What types of information are you looking for?

Also, I’m copying and pasting from my other response here - regarding where to share feedback and product requests, usually our product roadmap here is the best place to do it. Our product managers, including myself, go through every single piece of feedback in order to understand and categorize it. This feedback helps with the prioritization of features, as well as the design and development phase once we’ve committed to building it. It also means we can reach out to the users who submitted the feedback to see if they’d like to be involved in the design (e.g. participate in usability tests or beta programs). Or we can just reach out to let them know their requested feature is live.

Let me know if you have any other thoughts or feedback :slight_smile: